Mermaid Coins

It looks like a coin my daughter said, when I showed her the shell in my hand.
Smooth like glass and etched with a spiral, it was almost the colour of sand.
She reached out and took it, then turned it around, looking so seriously.
It’s a mermaid coin! she exclaimed with delight, her little face beaming at me.
A mermaid coin?
Yes, the mermaids you know need coins as we do, for their lunch and their morning tea.
Sometimes they lose them and they wash ashore, bringing good luck to you and to me.
Over the years as we wandered the beach, our stories of mermaid coins grew.
We decided to save them, so sure of their charm and they brought us good luck, we both knew.
The coins held a power infused from the sea, a gift from all saltwater creatures.
Safe passage for sailors and good luck for all, were two of the magical features.
Years came and went and the passage of time wore away at our beachcombing days.
But I’ll remember the joy in finding the coins, and the moments we shared for always.





All but one of my mermaid coins had sold in the gallery, so I  made some more lucky charms and book marks. These also have fresh water pearls, sea glass and irradized glass beads.

Comments

Popular Posts